[ome-users] Sharing data with specific users

Paulo Almeida palmeida at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Mon Nov 18 17:44:59 GMT 2013

Hi,

I've always dealt with the typical research group workflow, but someone
asked me something different and I'm not sure how to do it, or whether
it's possible. There is a service unit that acquires images and needs to
share them with the research group that asked for that acquisition. Is
it possible to share images and datasets with specific users and groups?
Are there other solutions to this problem?

One thing that occurred to me was to grant administrator status to the
head of the service unit, which would allow that person to acquire
images and set its owner to the correct researcher. I don't like the
idea of having one or more superusers for this purpose though.

Another possible solution would be to put the head(s) of the microscopy
units in every group, which I suppose would allow them to share images
with the group's members. The drawback is that it would be cumbersome to
manage.

Both solutions have the additional disadvantage of granting the unit
heads permission to see every image (either because they are superusers
or because they are in all groups), which may not be desirable.

Do you have any thoughts on that, is there anyone else with a similar
workflow?

Best regards,
Paulo Almeida
Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência