[ome-users] Giving Omero 5.0.0-beta1 a good kicking. Some questions.

Jason Swedlow j.r.swedlow at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Jul 30 08:51:25 BST 2013

Hi Jake

These are great questions. Forwarding to our ome-users list so everyone can benefit from the discussion.

Cheers,

Jason

Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression | Open Microscopy Environment | University of Dundee

Jake Carroll <jake.carroll at uq.edu.au> wrote:

Hey OME guys.

Hope you're well.

We've made a little bit of progress down here, with Omero 5.0.0-beta1 now
up and running on our test kit. We've witnessed OmeroFS working, in terms
of preservation of path names, file structures and otherwise. We've
watched a successful importation of IMS files, which is nice, too. Dan's
dealing with some other formats that aren't happily importing, also.

A couple of things have come up - as we intend to get this thing into
production one of these days soon. I have questions:

1. How far out do you see a "Stable" build of Omero5, with FS inclusive
being pushed out to the public?

2. I've read all the "Scaling Omero" threads - and it doesn't really
resolve my concerns. I need to present Omero to a whole institute of
people who are pathological nightmares in terms of imaging. I am picturing
5 people all sitting there from acquisition hosts uploading 20GB+ IMS or
ZVI images, all at once. Now, on a 1GbE pipe from each computer, that
probably represents a few hundred megabits per second of IO,
realistically. Can the OME/bioformats importer, Ice, Xmx + Java actually
cope with that kind of concurrent IO in your experience?

3. I want to make it a single sign on environment. Have you seen OME work
successfully when tied to an organisation-wide LDAP or ActiveDirectory
before?

4. Backing up the OME environment. How do you do it? I like and am happy
with the data structures that OmeroFS presents now, which is consistent
and maintainable, but what of the "front end". If I blew up a front end
host that "hosted" the OME database tomorrow, how might I rebuild it such
that the data underneath can be "pointed at" to regenerate where we were?

Plenty more questions to follow..

--j
Jake Carroll
Senior Information Technology Manager ­ Division of Research , The
Queensland Brain Institute, The University of Queensland, Australia
Chair, UQ Information Technology Consultative Group.
E:      jake.carroll at uq.edu.au
P:       +61 7 334 66407
M:       0402739157