[ome-users] FW: Extract individual tiles from huge tiled tiff file

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Mon Jan 28 15:47:11 GMT 2013

Hi Ofra,

> I have a huge tiled tif files which was created by saving scan of whole slide histology from Panoramic Viewer software.
> I can read the file using LOCI-Importer in Fiji, but I want to extract the individual tiles instead of the huge stitched image for further processing.
>
> Using bfconvert (using -separate) I can only split the 3 channels of the image, but not the tiles.
> What flags do I need to use in order to get (all) the individual tiles ?

The '-crop x,y,w,h' flag should do this, so to extract the
upper-left-most 512x512 tile you would do something like this:

$ bfconvert -crop 0,0,512,512 input-file.tiff output-file.tiff

In Fiji/ImageJ, you can also open tiles by selecting the "Crop on import"
option.

Regards,
-Melissa

P.S. For future, it is a little better to ask this sort of question on
the ome-users mailing list (in CC):

as that ensures a response even if I am away.