[ome-users] OMERO crash: Too many open files

Alexander Tournier alexander.tournier at cancer.org.uk
Fri Jan 27 14:25:39 GMT 2012

Thanks Josh, all that makes sense.
I suspect I didn't actually close the matlab session for a while so the
omero session stayed open and didn't release the handles ... so it's
probably ok on that front.
thanks

On 27/01/12 13:55, Josh Moore wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2012, at 2:42 PM, Alexander Tournier wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mark and Josh,
>>
>> I've looked at my scripts and I heavily used the RawPixelStore service, which would seem to open a file handle on the server.
>> - by my calculations I did something like 20000 calls to RawPixelStore, with as many as 2000 opened during a single matlab session.
>> - my calls to RawPixelStore are within matlab routines, this would imply that the garbage collection doesn't apply to the handles created within a matlab routine and for which the handle is lost. Is that right? this would explain a java memory leak I noticed.
> This is correct. The method "RawPixelStorePrx.close" is a remote method, and should definitely be somewhere in the equivalent of a try/finally block. There is no finalizer or similar on the proxy to ensure that this gets called.
>
>> - RawPixelStore seems to be the culprit here, is there any other service I should be particularly aware of? (for peace of mind I've gone through my routines and closed all services at the end).
> Every stateful service (RawPixelStore, RawFileStore, Search, ThumbnailStore) has a close method which should be called. There are several ways to detect them. They are all subinterfaces of StatefulServiceInterfacePrx. They have a "close" method. They are the return value of a method named "create"-something on the ServiceFactoryPrx. And, they will be returned to you by the client.getStatefulServices() method, which returns all instances in current session which have not yet been closed.
>
>> - I wasn't particularly 'keeping them alive' as I had to restart matlab often, would this indicate that these open services remained despite closing matlab? Is that a case where the session needs to be specifically closed?
> How are you initializing your service? Are you calling detachOnDestroy? (probably not) If not, then the sessions should time-out after 10 minutes, in which case the handles are inappropriately surviving. Will Moore mentioned he has seen this behavior before, though my assumption is that it's been fixed for 4.4.
>
> Cheers,
> ~Josh
>
>> Best,
>> Alex
>>

>> On 27/01/12 12:21, Mark Henshall wrote:
>>> doing 'cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max' gives 596753
>>>
>>> doing 'ulimit -Hn' as omero gives 1024

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the above-named person(s). If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this email from your system and do not disclose or use for any purpose.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.
Cancer Research UK
Registered in England and Wales
Company Registered Number: 4325234.
Registered Charity Number: 1089464 and Scotland SC041666
Registered Office Address: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD.