[ome-users] OMERO crash: Too many open files

Alexander Tournier alexander.tournier at cancer.org.uk
Thu Jan 26 17:41:02 GMT 2012

Hi there,

I've been using OMERO quite heavily and ... it crashed. ie I can't login
to OMERO anymore although others seem to be able to.
The most interesting is the error message below.
I was saving quite a lot of data and I realise that I didn't close the
rawPixelStore which might explain the error.
The problem I have at the moment is that it doesn't seem to be
rectifying itself on its own.
Is there a time delay by which the open files are forcefully closed and
services resumed or do we need to reboot OMERO?

Thanks,
Alexander

Error using omero.client/createSession
Java exception occurred:
Glacier2.PermissionDeniedException
     reason = "Internal error. Please contact your administrator:
                Wrapped Exception:
                (org.springframework.ldap.CommunicationException):
               uk-lri-ldco02.crwin.crnet.org:636; nested exception is
               javax.naming.CommunicationException:
               uk-lri-ldco02.crwin.crnet.org:636 [Root exception is
               java.net.SocketException: Too many open files]"
Method)
     at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
     at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
         Source)
     at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
     at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
     at

IceInternal.BasicStream$DynamicUserExceptionFactory.createAndThrow(BasicStream.java:2243)
             at
IceInternal.BasicStream.throwException(BasicStream.java:1632)
     at IceInternal.Outgoing.throwUserException(Outgoing.java:442)
     at Glacier2._RouterDelM.createSession(_RouterDelM.java:42)
     at Glacier2.RouterPrxHelper.createSession(RouterPrxHelper.java:51)
     at Glacier2.RouterPrxHelper.createSession(RouterPrxHelper.java:29)
     at omero.client.createSession(client.java:628)
     at omero.client.createSession(client.java:567)

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the above-named person(s). If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this email from your system and do not disclose or use for any purpose.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.
Cancer Research UK
Registered in England and Wales
Company Registered Number: 4325234.
Registered Charity Number: 1089464 and Scotland SC041666
Registered Office Address: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD.