[ome-users] detector zoom in insight metadata

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Wed May 4 08:51:10 BST 2011

Hi Perrine,

  This attribute refers to the 'zoom' factor of a confocal microscope,
determined by the scan. It should not be set for any non-confocal
formats. If you think it is being set incorrectly (for CCD detector
etc), please let us know.

E.g. This page gives the explanation below
http://www.hi.helsinki.fi/amu/AMU%20Cf_tut/Opt_ScanRes.htm
Scanner zoom factor vs. digital zoom

Digital zoom simply blown up an image to a bigger area with its
original pixel numbers, that soon reach the limit of screen dpi value
and image become pixelated. Some image edit software provide pixel
interpolation which avoid pixelation when enlarging an image, but
image quality deteriorate with massive addition of pixels. In both
way,  image resolution do not become better.

Confocal scanner zoom is a totally different story. The zoom-in
function reduces the scan angle that in turn reduces the scan area.
With a smaller area scanned (enlarged) using the same pixel number,
the pixel size reduced. So, confocal zoom enlarges the image at the
same time improves the resolution.

  Hope that helps,

   Will.

On 26 Apr 2011, at 20:09, Perrine Paul-Gilloteaux wrote:

> Dear Omero-users,
> Do you know what does the Detector Zoom mean in the microscope
> metadata
> displayed? I was not able to relate the value it was set to with any
> other
> original metadata, and there is no clear definition of it in what
> I've seen
> in the OME tif specifications.
> Thanks for any help,
> Perrine Paul-Gilloteaux
>

> --
> Institut Curie -- Centre de Recherche/Research Center
> http://www.curie.fr

William Moore
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street