[ome-users] Timeout for server-side scripts

Woodbridge, Mark R m.woodbridge at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 23:01:03 GMT 2011

I've looked into this a bit more closely and I was wrong about the script timing-out. Obviously this occurs when the script is run on the client, but it's not a problem on the server. The real problem appears to be the server running out of file handles. We're running 4.2.1 and it looks like a relevant fix is included in 4.2.2:

https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/ticket/2764

I won't be able to upgrade for a little while but I'll try again when I can.

One thing I did discover in the meantime was that if you don't set OMERO_TEMPDIR when running the server then it defaults to using your home directory:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/TempFileManager

In our case home directories are NFS mounted. Exports (when successful) are a lot faster now I've switched to using /tmp on the local disk. I think this should at least be documented in the installation notes, or the default order should be /tmp and then the home directory.

Thanks,

Mark.