[ome-users] Metadata list

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 12:25:19 BST 2010

Hi Sarah,

I've attempted to make an alternative view of the ome data model,
which allows you to browse the hierarchy (click on the blue links to
expand).
http://users.openmicroscopy.org.uk/~wmoore/omexsd/ome.xsd

Unfortunately, browsing the whole model exposes a lot of complexity
you are probably not interested in.
Try expanding Image > Pixels > Channel > Detector settings, to see
some attributes (green boxes) associated with a detector for each
channel of an image.

One level of complexity is that the detector itself is under
Instrument > Detector. (Browse here to see the attributes for Detector).
The same is true for Objective, Light Source, Filters etc.

The idea is that one Objective on a particular Instrument can be used
for multiple images.
You'll also notice that Objective settings is at the Image level
(since the whole image has the same Objective, magnification etc)
whereas Lightsource, filters, detectors etc are linked to the Channel.

Try toggling on the Documentation (click "show" at the top of the
page) to see the description of each element.
Also, you could "expand all" and use the Browser "find" to search for
a particular item.

  Hope that helps,

    Will.

On 29 Mar 2010, at 11:23, Andrew Patterson wrote:

> Hello Sarah,
>
> The authoritative list is the XML schema.
> http://www.openmicroscopy.org/Schemas/
>
> There is a friendlier view of the schema in the auto-generated
> documentation available here:
>
> http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/svn/specification/Documentation/Generated/OME-2009-09/ome.html
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Andrew
>
> On 29 Mar 2010, at 10:32, Sarah Chacko wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have heard that there is a comprehensive list of useful metadata
>> for microscopy files, on the OME website. I couldn't find it,
>> unless it is the XML schema. Is there a list in a simpler format?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sarah

William Moore
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street