[ome-users] Cannot connect remotely to OMERO.server

Javier Diaz javiereduardodiaz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 22:50:43 BST 2009

Hi All,

We have installed OMERO.server successfully after the Josh Moore very
helpful guide, and, locally it works very well. But, we can not connect
from other computer of the network.

In our laboratory, We have a workgroup network called LAB.MICROSCOPIA
and the computer name with OMERO.server installed is microscopia12, the
other computer names are  microscopia#. The IP address for each computer
in the network is assigned automatically by the server outside of our
workgroup. We have controled the IPs assignament and the server always
assigns the same IP to each computer. For example, the IP address of
microscopia12 is 170.210.29.134, and the microscopia4 is 170.210.29.180.

We have look into the troubleshooting section in the ome web page and we
have noted that the file 'host.conf' that is refered is "not in our
installation directory". What we did was to create a 'host' text file
with 'conf ' extension and configure as is proposed in the web page:

|# /etc/hosts: Local Host Database
#
# This file describes a number of aliases-to-address mappings for the for
# local hosts that share this file.
#
# In the presence of the domain name service or NIS, this file may not be
# consulted at all; see /etc/host.conf for the resolution order.
#

# IPv4 and IPv6 localhost aliases - SHOWING INCORRECT SETUP
#127.0.0.1       my-hostname.lifesci.example.com my-hostname localhost
#::1             localhost

We have replaced the two last lines with many alternatives, but we think
that our problem is in some other place.

Could you give us any advice to solve this problem? and if it is
possible how to configure the host.conf file?

Thanks in advance.

Javier Diaz
Laboratorio Microscopia - FI-UNER - Argentina