[ome-users] Error deploying OMERO 3.2 beta | jboss-log4j.xml

» Ruben Alves rubenalves at fm.ul.pt
Tue Mar 17 15:02:01 GMT 2009

Josh, it works now.
I've just change delete all preferences (.java), run OMERO as root, and
the notice still appear, but OMERO starts perfectly.
I used binaries for PostgresSQL and Java (and not apt-get). And now,
everything is working fine.
Thank you for your help.

//Ruben

Hi Ruben,

Oh boy. Sounds like we're not getting off the hook so easily. :)

First, I should mention that I couldn't reproduce this running as root
under Ubuntu. I get this message after deleting my preference
directories when I access preferences as root:

  17/03/2009 10:42:44 AM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$3 run
  INFO: Created system preferences directory in java.home.

» Ruben Alves writes:
 > Hi Josh, in fact I've already been in that site via Omero's
 > troubleshooting page.
 > My /etc/.java is already world readable and writable, but the error
 > continues.

Is there also a ".systemPrefs" directory under /etc/.java ? And what
about in ~/.java? There should be a .userPrefs directory.

 > Omero is running as root in a Debian Lenny Linux.
 > I've installed Java with apt-get and downloaded the official installer.
 > In both, I got the same error.
 > The problem is because of this error, OMERO don't even start.
 >
 > To deploy omero I use this script:
 >
 > omero:/var/omero-Beta3.2# cat deploy_server.sh
 > #!/bin/bash
 >
 > export http_proxy="http://proxy.lan:8080/" <http://proxy.lan:8080/%22>
 > export JBOSS_HOME=/var/omero-Beta3.2/jboss-4.2.3.GA/
 > cd /var/omero-Beta3.2/omero
 > java omero deploy
 > $JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.sh
 >
 > Now, I really don't know how to fix this problem.

One thing mentioned on another bug:

is to set where the properties get created:

  There is another system property 'java.util.prefs.systemRoot' whose
  default is '/etc/.java'.  Set it on the command line to a directory
  that you have control of and make a .systemPrefs directory in it.

I tested:

  java -Djava.util.prefs.userRoot=/tmp -cp /tmp prefs sys set a 1

This is probably preferable to making everything read/write world,
since some applications may put private information in there.

 > Regards

Good luck!
~Josh.

P.S. can you pass along the server logs, possibly after adding:

  set -x

to the top of run.sh?