[ome-users] comparison list of TIFF tags and OME-TIFF (XML moiety) tags available?

Guenter Giese Guenter.Giese at mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de
Wed Mar 11 21:21:57 GMT 2009

Hi Curtis,

thank you for your rapid answer! It addresses my questions almost perfectly.

> I am not sure what you mean by "microscopy-related TIFF tags." There are many proprietary microscopy-specific variants of TIFF (e.g.: Flex, Olympus Fluoview, Molecular Dynamics GEL, Imaris, Improvision, Metamorph, Nikon, Image-Pro Sequence, SVS, Zeiss LSM) that contain extra information, but these are not OME-TIFFs. However, Bio-Formats parses each format's proprietary metadata and converts what it can into OME-XML.

Sorry, I should have been more precise: My microscope is a home-built light sheet microscope (optically a type of wide field microscope) with different mechanical, electronic  and optical components, controlled by a PC. Some of the components obviously are addressed neither by TIFF tags nor by OME-XML scheme tags.

Basically, I want to store as many microscope and recording parameters as possible  in appropriate TIFF tags, and additional metadata (plus copies of the TIFF tags) in a format which is not proprietary but open and expandable (OME-TIFF / XML seems quite a good candidate).

First I want to evaluate the metadata tags already addressed by TIFF as well as by the OME XML scheme (trying to avoid "private" data tags).

Other metadata (many still to be defined) may then in addition be stored as (preliminary) XML tags (sometimes hopefully making it into a common, open scheme, or finding their equivalent in it).

Did I miss something, or is there a better way to proceed?

> For example, if you mouse over the entry for TIFF, at the bottom of the pop-up you will see a link to "Supported metadata fields":
>   https://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/trac/java/wiki/TiffReader

Thanks, this is exactly the stuff I was looking for. I will check in more detail tomorrow.

I am not a programmer (others are in charge of this), but highly concerned about proper metadata storage handling, and retrieval of course. I have been struggling, as a microscopy facility manager, with the mess of proprietary (or simply non-existing) metadata since years. I hope an open standard (like OME-TIFF /  XML) will meet my demands.

Best,

Guenter