[ome-users] python 2.5 segmentation fault

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Mon Jun 8 09:32:12 BST 2009

Hi Björn,

>From http://zeroc.com/forums there does look to be an install issue
with at least SuSE 11 (as of October):

  http://www.zeroc.com/forums/help-center/3966-icepy-3-3-0-opensuse-11-0-a.html

We've reports that the Ice rpms install cleanly on SuSE Enterprise 10,
but don't have the platform to test on.

 > Is Ice only working with Python 2.4?

The Ice rpms available from the download page are compiled against
Python 2.4, so yes. On other platforms, the packaging maintainers may
have chosen to go with python 2.5 or higher, or even to package
multiple version of IcePy.

 > Should I try to compile Ice or is it better to install an older
 > Python?

Either of these is really fine. The most important criterium is
probably your (or your platform's) requirements for python. The OMERO
code base should be Python 2.4-compatible, and if you have any issues,
we'll do everything we can to correct them.

If you don't necessarily need Python 2.5, and the Python 2.4 installs
cleanly on your system, then that is likely the easiest route.

If there's anything we can do to help, please let us know.

~Josh