[ome-users] OMERO clients user's comments

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 23:31:33 GMT 2009

Dear Caterina-

Thanks for your comments.  Indeed everything you have asked for is
going into Beta4, so you should see much of this either in mid-
February or possibly ~May/June.  However, cut n paste of images
between datasets should work already in Beta3.2.  Give it a try, and
if it is not working, let us know.

Just FYI, our updated roadmaps for 2009 are up at:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/roadmap
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/roadmap

Thanks for the great feedback-- this is really terrific, and very
useful.  Anyone else want to weigh in?

Cheers,

Jason

On 13 Jan 2009, at 16:02, Caterina Strambio De Castillia wrote:

> Dear OMERO developers,
>
> as you know from Mario's postings we have been actively working on
> our OMERO implementation and testing project.
>
> One think I have been doing is to test the usability side of the
> clients.
>
> All my comments pertains to test done using the latest DB and client-
> suite versions available.
>
> OMERO.db beta 3.2
> OMERO. clients suite 3.2.1
>                .importer pre beta4-4
>                .insight beta3.2
>                .editor main (3)1.0 _ not tested
>
> Tests were done on a  Mac PowerBook G4 (client side) and a Dual
> Processor Power PC G5  (server side).
>
> IN ALL CASES comments are made with the purpose of improving OMERO
> and helping the developers, maybe, seeing problems they had not
> thought about. Also the comments obviously reflect my personal view
> of priorities particularly in light of the beta4 release (if
> possible) and/or future releases.
>
> Best regards
>
> Caterina
>

> _______________________
>
> LIST OF COMMENTS
>
> 1) OMERO.webadmin:
>
> Administering scientists and groups
>
> * COMMENT_1: I think it is important to allow admin more flexibility
> in the administration of users  (i.e. scientists) and user's data
>  Specifically admin should be able to remove user and user data from
> data base.
> For what I can tell only a user without data can be deleted. This
> makes sense obviously but a real-world systems will require more
> flexibility.
>
> Possible scenarios that would require such a measure:
>
> When a user leaves a facility and his or her data need to be
> migrated to a new site.
> During testing
> In case of user's mistakes (especially likely to happen during large
> data migration or at db first instance installations)
> Insertion of  "garbage data" in the db
>
> At preset beta3 does not appear to allow users data to be deleted
> (in case it is there I did not find it).
>
> 		TWO POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS: either data should be erasable at admin
> side or at user side or both. This option should be set depending on
> the needs of each OMERO.db instance implementation. One possible
> GLP-			compliant implementation is suggested below.
>
> 2) OMERO.insight:
>
> Administering image data hierarchical organization, data-sets and
> projects
>
>  * COMMENT_2: (related to comment regarding admin flexibility):
> There has to be flexibility on the USER side on managing image data.
> I argue the user has to be able to remove data from the database,
> for example, in case of errors she/he made during import or in case
> of failed import executions.
> Obviously, care should be taken in implementing DATA deletion from
> DB in order to comply to good laboratory practices (GLP) and ethical
> concerns.

> [...]

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street