[ome-users] OMERO DATA disk separation for performance

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Sun Jan 11 19:29:42 GMT 2009

Cornelissen, Frans [PRDBE] writes:
 > All,

Hi,

 > Is it possible to put the different OMERO Data types(Files, Pixels,
 > Thumbnails, fulltext)  on different (types of ) Disks?

Yes, with a caveat. Though we are working on extending how OMERO uses
users' disk storage, for the 4.0 release you will need to use symlinks
to do what you are talking about. Any of the directories under your
omero.data.dir -- most likely /OMERO -- can be symlinked
elsewhere. So,

mkdir /OMERO
ln -s /NAS/Pixels /OMERO/Pixels
ln -s /SAN/Thumbnails /OMERO/Thumbnails

will work fine. Similarly, if you would like to place any of the
1000 directories under /OMERO/Pixels somewhere else, this will also be
respected. Just make sure your server is stopped while moving any
existing directories.

 > I could imagine that e.g. for Thumbnails ( need 400 differnet ones at
 > once  for a single directory/plate) it would be much faster to put them
 > on SAN storage,
 >
 > While (because of the shear total volume) the Pixel data would be placed
 > on a (cheaper) NAS device.
 >
 > Same hold for Fulltext: for speed, could be placed e.g. on a SSD disk.

The FullText directory can also be symlinked, but cannot be further
split up since it is flat.

 > All toughts & feedback welcome!

And the same goes for you. Making both a flexible & fast filesystem
solution is something that requires your input.

 > Thanks, best regards,
 > Frans Cornelissen

Cheers,
~Josh.