[ome-users] [General Contact] Possible to have own schema besides ome one?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Dec 17 18:09:27 GMT 2009

Hi Steffen,

first, thanks for your fast replies. What do you mean with "I have CCed the
> OME users list"?

There is an OME mailing list for asking questions such as yours:

Asking on the list is better for two reasons: 1) there are many developers
on the list with various expertise, who can more effectively answer your
questions; and 2) other users with the same question later can locate the
answer in the archives instead of needing to ask again.

Looks like you are using the forums too, which is fine. But it is best to
use either the mailing list, forums or both, rather than emailing developers
directly.

 > Presumably, you do not actually want to mix and match two different OME
> > schema versions (or if so, why?), but rather want to use your own custom
> > schema along with OME.
>
> Yes, of course I dont want to mix two schema versions. It was just an
> example.
>
> Do you have any xml file that is using structered annotations? Just to have
> an example. As I understand it, it is just possible to add the annotations
> at certain places within the document, as described at
> http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/StructuredAnnotations.

Sorry, the StructuredAnnotations element is still fairly new, so I do not
have any examples handy. Andrew might, but he is away until Monday.

So if we want to have an additional laser type, say DPSS, it is not possible
> to add it with structered annotations. We would have to wait until it is
> implemented in OME. Is that right or is there any possibility?

One thing you could do is set the Laser type to "Other," and create
StructuredAnnotations that reference the Laser ID in question and indicate a
string value of your choice. Ideally, though, you would request DPSS to be
added to the schema proper, and it would be included in the next version.

-Curtis