[ome-users] OMERO Beta4 experience on Centos5/RHEL5

Mathieu Marchand mmarchand at rockefeller.edu
Wed Apr 1 18:12:48 BST 2009

Hi OMERO users and developers,

I have installed the beta4 today on a Centos 5 machine (same software
packages as Red Hat RHEL5), and I have a few comments:

I had a small problem with python-sqlite2 not being available on RHEL5
(which has python 2.4 and python-sqlite 1.1.7)
With python-sqlite 1.1.7, OMERO was starting without error on the
command line, but the web(admin) interfaces were not starting and some
python processes went "zombie" or were just eating some cpu cycles.
After inspecting the logs and installing python-sqlite2 from a third
party repo., everything worked fine.
I think you should add python-sqlite2 in the prerequisites on your
installation page and/or in your install script.

Also, in the installation page for Beta4, the link "OmeroAndPostgres"
is not working (to get the necessary change in pg_hba.conf in RHEL5,
for postgres novices like me)
In pg_hba.conf, where you add the necessary line allowing connections
from the loopback address (127.0.0.1) is also important (above the
default authorization lines, not below)

Unfortunately, the first imported file I imported in OMERO, a 32bit
ICS file from Huygens has a rendering problem in Insight: changing the
contrast levels does not work, everything turns white. Display and
contrast changes for the same file are fine in OMERO.Web.

I hope this will help others running RHEL5/Centos5 (which is a fairly
common enterprise Linux distrib). Beta4 looks VERY promising so far,
and importer was very fast. Congratulation for this great release.

Mat

--
Mathieu Marchand