[ome-users] Further questions about broken server

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:36:38 GMT 2008

Hi Jason,

Anybody else out there had similar problems to Glenn?

I have also had bad luck with the Mac OS X .dmg installer.

One problem I had was in trying to install on a Mac OS X Server box that
already had Postgres installed. My suggestion there would be to add a notice
to the MilestoneDownloads page explaining that the .dmg cannot be used on
such a setup.

My second problem was on a Mac OS X 10.4 laptop. That one may have worked,
but it was unclear to me exactly what had been done, and whether I needed to
take any additional actions, because there is no wiki page documenting it.
The lack of documentation made me nervous enough that I ended up wiping all
Postgres- and OMERO-related files (that I could find) and starting over with
the manual install. So I would further suggest a dedicated wiki page
(similar to the OmeroInstallWindows page, but for Mac OS X) documenting what
the .dmg installer does -- i.e., which files it puts where, what gets added
to StartupItems, what if any additional actions the administrator needs to
take, and how to perform a clean uninstall.

-Curtis