[ome-users] quick question: guest login + publicly viewable images

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Nov 29 04:21:29 GMT 2007

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 8:39 PM, jchen at alumni.caltech.edu wrote:
>> Hi,

Hi Jerry

> I am running OME v.2.6.0 web server on a 64-bit Linux workstation with
> Fedora Core 6.

First of all I would highly recommend updating to 2.6.1.  The guest
access has seen more testing and fixing in this version.  The update
should be completely painless, but as always, you should back up your
database first.

> 1. How do you login as guest? It doesn't seem to be working for our
> server. When I click on "Guest Login", it merely refreshes the
> login page.
> I do have guest access enabled in my install. Any thoughts?

A guest login should take you to the normal home-page with reduced
functionality.  Basically, it doesn't let you write anything to the
DB.  Its been too long, so I don't remember the degree to which guest
access was functional in 2.6.0.

> 2. Once I get guest login working, how can I make some images
> publically
> viewable, while making other images hidden to users outside the group?

The simplest way is to change the group ownership to NULL.  The guest
user is also a "real" user associated with a real group (Guest/
PUBLIC, I believe), so you can also assign ownership to this user/group.

There is UI (which works in 2.6.1) to change the user+group ownership
of module executions, which in-turn changes the ownership of the
module's outputs.
If you are making bulk ownership changes, then probably the easiest
way is to do this with scripts, or by doing updates in the DB.

All data in OME is owned by whoever executed the module that produced
it.  Images, Datasets and Projects are a sole exception, though these
are for the most part abstract classes - the pixels, for example, are
produced by an import module which was executed by the user who
imported the image, and therefore owned by this user and their
default group.

Really briefly, users can access data owned by them, or owned by a
group that they belong to, or owned by the NULL group.  Group-leaders
can additionally access everything owned by all the users in the group
(s) they lead.  So data owned by the NULL group can be accessed by
everyone, whereas data owned by the PUBLIC group can (oddly enough)
be accessed only by the Guest user.

Hopefully that makes some sense.
-Ilya