[ome-users] Retrieving original images from the server

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Nov 28 23:43:46 GMT 2007

Hi Paulo-

On 28 Nov 2007, at 19:12, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
>> Is there a way to import the images in an Omero server with
>> ImageJ? If not,
>> are there plans to implement that, as in Ome (I tried the Loci
>> plugin, which
>> gives me the option to import from Ome, but it did not work with
>> the Omero
>> server). Or do you think the development of the Omero client will
>> make that
>> unnecessary?
>
> We have plans to update the "Upload to OME" plugin to work with OMERO,
> but have not yet had time to do so. It is definitely something we will
> add in the future, though.

We'd appreciate feedback on this point-- is this a major priority for
the community?  We know ImageJ is in heavy use, and therefore are
considering devoting resources to this.  Does the ImageJ community
want this?

>> I have imported some .lif pictures into Omero and I am worried that
>> information (such as laser power, filters, etc) may be lost in the
>> process.
>> Is there a way to easily retrieve (ie through the client) the
>> original image
>> from the server? I have been looking around and couldn't find a
>> way to do it.
>> (I saw the download icon when visualizing the image, but I
>> couldn't get it to
>> work).
>
> I am not sure; one of the OMERO developers will have to comment on
> that. But that functionality is very important to my lab, so if it is
> not already there we will find a way to do it at some point.

When you import the file, you will see a check box at the bottom of
the dialog where you specify the Project and Dataset for the incoming
image, asking if you want to archive the original image.  If you
click this, the original file will be uploaded as well, and will be
available for download inside the OMERO.insight DataManager.  See the
OMERO.importer movie at http://openmicroscopy.org/howto/ for more
info on importing data.

Note that we have a known bug-- the Download button in OMERO.insight
does not go gray when there is no original file uploaded.  This
requires some  server-side updates that we need to do...

As always, thanks for your feedback and support.

Cheers,

Jason

> On Nov 28, 2007 6:29 AM, Paulo Almeida <palmeida at igc.gulbenkian.pt>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to import the images in an Omero server with
>> ImageJ? If not,
>> are there plans to implement that, as in Ome (I tried the Loci
>> plugin, which
>> gives me the option to import from Ome, but it did not work with
>> the Omero
>> server). Or do you think the development of the Omero client will
>> make that
>> unnecessary?
>>
>> I have imported some .lif pictures into Omero and I am worried that
>> information (such as laser power, filters, etc) may be lost in the
>> process.
>> Is there a way to easily retrieve (ie through the client) the
>> original image
>> from the server? I have been looking around and couldn't find a
>> way to do it.
>> (I saw the download icon when visualizing the image, but I
>> couldn't get it to
>> work).
>>

>> Thank you,
>> - Paulo Almeida

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street