[ome-users] OMERO Import - 2+ tiff files

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Nov 27 21:54:59 GMT 2007

Hi Matt,

> We are able to export files from a proprietary format into a relatively
> metadata-free tiff format (unfortunately).  Multiple channels are
> exported as separate files.  Filenames contain the metadata (channel,
> well).

First of all, what is your proprietary format? Is it something that
you would like to see added to OMERO in the future?

Second, Bio-Formats, the library that drives the OMERO importer, does
support image series distributed across multiple files as part of its
FileStitcher module. It works by scanning for file naming patterns --
numbers that vary across the otherwise consistent filenames. So if you
have a series of TIFFs that are numbered according to channel as you
say, it should be possible in theory for OMERO.importer to process
your data using FileStitcher. However, I am not certain whether
OMERO.importer is currently capable of utilizing FileStitcher or not
-- perhaps Brian or Melissa can comment on that.

> I would like to have at least the channel info properly imported within
> OMERO.

Bringing in channel metadata (e.g., wavelength, fluorescent label
used, etc.) directly from the filename is more challenging, and would
take some additional effort to handle. What we are working to support
is actually a more general purpose graphical metadata annotation tool
that would let you specify such details before, during or after
import.

> I've tried creating a stack in imageJ, but it treats the channel images
> as time points after import.  I've also tried the 5dImage plugin to
> successfully create a 5D image that represents the images as channels (1
> time point, 2 channels), but this fails during import in OMERO.

I am not sure what you mean by "this fails during import in OMERO" --
as far as I know there is no way to get data from within ImageJ into
OMERO directly, although we are planning to create an "Upload to
OMERO" plugin for ImageJ when we have time. Are you doing a "save as"
into a single file and then trying to import that merged file into
OMERO? Unfortunately, there is no multidimensional standard format to
which you can currently "save as" that is supported by OMERO.importer.
We are hard at work on support for OME-TIFF though, so soon you should
be able to export from ImageJ to OME-TIFF and then import that into
OMERO.

> After this I would like to manage tiles/sections (X/Y areas) taken
> within one well (they are physically next to each other in the well so I
> understand these are part of one 5D image?)

The OMERO.insight client has some features relating to regions of
interest for individual image planes. If you elaborate more on exactly
what you want when you say "manage tiles/sections" we can comment
further on whether what you want is something that is supported or
planned.

-Curtis