[ome-users] Installation problems - postgres

seb Sebastien.Huart at curie.fr
Mon Sep 18 18:07:11 BST 2006

[snip]

>> And now next problem postgreSQL. I use postgreSQL 8. It started with
>> Ident Authentification erros. So I decided to create manually the user
>> "ome" "www-data" and the database "ome" - And now I got the error
>> "Modifying user privileges is not supported"  when I  run install.pl .
>> Inside "CoreDatabaseTablesTask.log" is nothing interesting. Only one
>> line "Creating OME PostgreSQL superuser (ome) " and nothing more.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea? What should I do?
>> Have a nive day :-)
>> Cu Matthias

Hello Matthias,

I'm a complete newbie with ome and I had to fight a bit with
apache2/modperl2/postgresql on a debian "testing" distrib.
Anyway, it might be useless in your case but here is what I did.

First I had problems with apache2 and modperl2 packages, finally I got a
working install by downloading and building the source (this is not an
OME problem but packaging/dependencies problem)
Then I had problems with the default posgtgresql (7.4) config.
I modified the one of the first lines in /etc/postgresql/.../pg_hba.conf
like this:

local   all         postgres                          trust sameuser

and restarted the postgresql server (/etc/init.d/postgresql-7.4 restart)
so I was able to log into a database with the postgres superuser locally.
Then you should be able to try this (assuming you are logged into a
terminal on your linux box):
createdb testdb -U postgres
without password
if it's ok, next step:
If you have already created an ome db, I did the same but the install.pl
failed, noticing that ome db was already there. So I had to "dropdb ome
-U postgres", and relaunch the installer.
I used the "postgres" superuser as the database user instead of the
default "owner of current process" during the last phase of install
script configuration.
And finally it seems to work, time to read more documentation for me!

Sebastien

PS:
I'm testing the DBD::Pg version 1.49, no failure up to now but I didn't
try many queries...