[ome-users] question re bioformats.jar

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Oct 16 18:02:50 BST 2006

Hi Keith,

Sorry for the delay in my response; I was out sick on Friday. I can't
speak to your question #2, but have some thoughts on #1 and #3.

> 1) we are not able to import any type of images other than TIF, (for
> example leica format)
>
> As OME is installed in /OME and is owned by user OME, we have tried putting
> the LOCI bioformats.jar in the OME directory, or in Java/lib and neither
> seem to change things.  I don't know how to change the classpath of the OME
> user, as it doesn't have a home directory, thus a .cshrc etc... to add the
> classpath to its environment...
>
> Any hints?

Unfortunately, Bio-Formats is not so integrated with the OME server
yet. Ultimately, we may include the Bio-Formats JARs with OME, or
allow them to be dropped into the distribution as you tried, and have
the perl code automatically attempt to use them. But such
functionality is not yet in place.

The OME server is perl-based, with several file format importers on
the backend, written in Perl (modules in
OME/src/perl2/OME/ImportEngine), including: Bio-Rad PIC, DICOM,
Deltavision DV, Molecular Dynamics GEL, Zeiss LSM, Metamorph HTD,
OME-TIFF, Metamorph STK, TIFF, and OME-XML.

Bio-Formats is Java-based, with many file format readers implemented
(see the Bio-Formats web site:
http://www.loci.wisc.edu/ome/formats.html). But we have not fully
integrated Bio-Formats with the OME server.

Currently, the easiest way to get files supported by Bio-Formats into
OME is to use the OME Plugin for ImageJ
(http://www.loci.wisc.edu/ome/imagej.html). But even though
Bio-Formats is capable of producing OME-XML metadata for each file,
the OME Plugin only supports upload of pixel data to the server. We
are actively working to improve this support, but there is still much
to be done.

There is also a command line tool called omeul packaged with VisBio,
which we are in the middle of refactoring into Bio-Formats directly.
If you need to batch upload many files to OME, you could try
downloading VisBio and using the packaged version of omeul; it should
be able to upload pixel data in any supported file format.

> 3) in regards to accessing the images from a browser on a second machine,
> the images are refered to by a url pointing to the image file which works
> on the host machine, but not on the second machine.  How do you set OME to
> use a relative not absolute link to the images?

I am not certain, but this sounds like an issue with the path to your
OMEIS (since OMEIS is what provides the thumbnails). The OME database
needs the full hostname to OMEIS, even if it is on the same machine
(which it is by default). Did you specify a complete URL to OMEIS when
it prompted in the installer? You can check as follows (assuming you
are logged in with the account used to install OME):

% psql ome

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

ome=# select * from repositories;
 attribute_id | module_execution_id |                 image_server_url
                | path | is_local
--------------+---------------------+--------------------------------------------------+------+----------
            4 |                   1 |
http://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/omeis |      | f
(1 row)

And if necessary, you can update the URL like so:

ome=# update repositories set
image_server_url='http://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/omeis'
where module_execution_id=1;
UPDATE 1