[ome-users] Dreaded DBD::Pg errors

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Sat Aug 19 15:45:10 BST 2006

Hmm,
I wouldn't blame DBD::Pg just yet - we use this DBD::Pg/postgres
combo on everything.
Your postgres libraries are in /usr/local/pgsql/lib.  Some unixes
look for libraries (and other things) in /usr/local by default, but
not all of them.
Did you compile postgres yourself?  Getting a package for your OS
might make things easier.  Or, you probably need to modify ldconfig
to load libraries from /usr/local, then re-build DBD::Pg so it finds
and links the libraries where you have them.  If you compiled
postgres from source and it works (i.e. server is running, "psql
template1" works, etc), then you can probably download DBD::Pg from
CPAN, do the "perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install" thing
on it, and be good to go.  Building DBD::Pg manually as well will let
you see what its complaining about, the README generally has some
helpful hints to get it to work.

>> Incidentally, if you already have DBD:Pg 1.49 (latest version)
>> installed, the perl installer happily uses it (and then blows up
>> with errors) instead of rejecting it as PerlModuleTask.pm implies.
>>

> I agree that it would also be nice if OME were smarter about
> rejecting known bad (or even not-known-good) versions of DBD::Pg.

This is a bug - its not rejecting invalid versions as it should

> -Curtis

-Ilya