[ome-users] Marino don't shows thumbnails of Images

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Aug 25 17:48:19 BST 2005

I'll jump in too.

In a remote client (like shoola or a browser), there are two
connections.  One is to the OME back-end, and one is to the image
server (OMEIS).  The back-end keeps track of which image server a given
image is on and generates appropriate URLs for the client to retrieve
image data (i.e. the thumbs, etc).

The location of the image server is stored in the repositories table.
Its possible to use several image servers simultaneously (but each
image is associated with exactly one OMEIS).
The thumbnail display is done by making the client get it directly from
the appropriate image server, which can be on a different machine than
the "back-end".  This arrangement allows for a great deal of
scaleability.

Now, if you put everything on localhost, and that's the only name you
use for all your servers, then everything will work out fine as long as
your "remote" clients are not actually remote - as long as all
connections are local.  When you try to contact a "back-end" over a
network, it will generate URLs for the appropriate image servers based
on settings in the repositories table.  If these are all on
"localhost", then the remote client will be told to look for the images
on "localhost" (i.e. locally), instead of on the real image server
(which is remote).

In other words, you have to tell the back-end (in the repositories
table) the name by which the OMEIS server is known to all the other
computers that might connect to it.
The easy, correct way is to use a fully qualified network name (a FQDN)
for the image server and back-end (i.e. when the installer asks you for
the URL to use for the OMEIS).  Depending on your networking setup,
that may require a dynamic DNS server hooked up to your DHCP server, or
doing things manually by assigning IP addresses and playing around with
hosts files.  A good networking setup should ensure that all computers
have a FQDN resolvable by the local DNS.

A better default setting would probably be the result of a
reverse-lookup on the host's IP address.

As Tomasz pointed out, these settings can be modified using the ome
command-line tool (this is only available in CVS-HEAD now, not in the
current stable release).

-Ilya