[ome-users] Substring search?

Graham Klyne graham.klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 6 11:58:24 BST 2005

I was showing OME to a new potential user yesterday, and a question came
up that required searching for the occurrence of a substring *within* a
string value in a new Semantic Type.

So if we have entries with fields containing:
  1.  "foo,fie,foe,fum"
  2.  "foo,foe,fum"
  3.  "fie,fum"
a search for "fie" would return the entries 1 and 3.

With a little experimentation, I found that I could use a wildcard to
match leading substrings (e.g. searching for "foo*" would return 1 and 2
above) but the searching for "*fie*" didn't work.

My question is:  is there a feature I'm overlooking that does this in
the UI?  (I'm fairly sure this could be done at the database level using
postgres regexp matching.)

(This use of substring matching would be an interim "fix" until a more
structured approach to organizing the data could be adopted, so I'm not
suggesting here that it should be regarded as a priority feature request.)

#g

--
Graham Klyne
Image Bioinformatics Research Group (http://www.bioimage.org/)