[ome-users] Custom annotations absent in exported metadata

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Aug 4 14:59:47 BST 2005

On Aug 4, 2005, at 6:52 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:

> I've been examining an exported OME/XML file (after stripping out the
> raw binary data), and am rather surpised to see that the custom
> Semantic
> Type annotations created for our data (which show up in the online view
> of the image information) do not appear in the exported OME/XML data.
>
> I had expected to see the custom semantic type data appear in the
> <CustomAttributes> element inside the <Image> element, but I see the
> <CustomAttributes> element is empty.
>
> I attach a copy of the exported OME/XML for one such image, with
> newlines inserted before each '<', and the content of <BinData>
> elements
> stripped out.

A problem with XML export is that you can literally dump the entire
database into a single XML document.  The problem is to decide what to
export and to expose this to the user in some logical, easy-to-use way.
  The "solution" we came up with was to export the image objects that
got imported during image import.  Its obviously not ideal, but it
would always work and would be minimally useful.  Exporting everything
associated with an image may work OK in some uses of OME, but in others
would result in exporting way, way more than you want.
The interface to the XML export is very easy to use (for a developer) -
its just a list of OME objects, which can be practically anything
(anything supported by the various XML schemas).  The big question is
how do you build an interface to let the user specify what they want to
export?

One possibility is to (again) use templates.  A special XML Export
template would specify the object types desired during export.  At
least this way the list of object types would be configurable
relatively easily.  Another option that was kicked around, but somewhat
difficult to implement, was basically a shopping basket.  You can pick
and choose certain objects to export as you browse around your data.
Exposing search criteria for inclusion of objects in an XML export to
an HTTP interface may be useful also.  Any other ideas would be most
welcome.

-Ilya