[ome-devel] optimised viewer for time laps data

Kai Schleicher kai.schleicher at unibas.ch
Sat Jan 21 16:34:06 GMT 2017

Hi Will,

thanks for your detailed reply!

> The FIJI viewer actually downloads all the planes locally when you
> open an image.
I have used the OMERO.insight-ij integration and opened the image as a
virtual stack. This way it was actually quite fast to view the first
frame, but I believe it opens the images only frame-by-frame, correct?
Indeed loading all frames into memory first is not what I am looking for
as this would take very long.

> I have been considering a web viewer that loads multiple planes in
> hand E.g. see http://codepen.io/will-moore/pen/Beuyc (mouse wheel to
> scroll through Z)
This is brilliant! Already for showing the "orthogonal view", I am sure
this would be appreciated a lot by our users!

One request regarding viewing tl data was that the users wish to "hop"
around in the video, i.e. jump from the first frame directly ~100 frames
forward to the middle/end of the tl.
I guess with the approach of loading multiple frames at once this would
still pose a problem if they wish to see a frame very "far" away.

> You could build a python viewer that behaved similarly to the FIJI
> viewer, but I’m not sure this would get you any advantages over using
> FIJI?
 From what I understand I assume it comes down to whats the fastest way
to load an image. As I found the FIJI viewer with virtual stack to
perform faster than the desktop clients viewer I was wondering if theres
further performance improvement possible when writing a "dedicated
tl-viewer".
But I can see from
https://github.com/openmicroscopy/omero-webtest/pull/11 that you are
already on this :)