[ome-devel] Issue happened while using bfConverter

Roger Leigh rleigh at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Nov 9 15:09:45 GMT 2016

On 08/11/16 06:32, Parvathy Pillai wrote:

> I have seen a code like below
>
> https://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=524
>
> Kindly let me know how to use OME in c#.
> Please send a sample.

Dear Parvathy,

I'm afraid that right now we don't have any direct support for C#, and
hence no samples to provide.

Bio-Formats is written in Java, with bindings for e.g. Matlab and C++.
OME Files is written in C++, with no bindings as yet, but there is the
potential for adding bindings for e.g. Python, LabView, Matlab, C# etc.
in the future.  However, it's most likely the case that we won't have
the resources or expertise to create all these bindings ourselves.

If you would like to use Bio-Formats from C#, maybe look at a project
such as IKVM which would allow you to run the Java code in the CLR.
However, please note I don't have much C# expertise, and this is just a
suggestion for investigation; I don't know if it will work for you since
I'm not sure if anyone has tried it.  I don't know how well it will cope
with the JNI usage in several of the jars (which might not be a problem,
depending upon which formats and functionality you need).

If you would like to use OME Files from C#, this would require creating
the necessary wrappers around the native code.  I don't think we're
quite at the point where this will work--it would require all the code
to be built as DLLs I think--but if you wanted to assist with any of the
needed groundwork, that would certainly be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Roger

--
Dr Roger Leigh -- Open Microscopy Environment
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression,