[ome-devel] Failed root logins at midnight

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Nov 1 15:19:33 GMT 2016

Hi Rainer,

sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I don't think we've seen
this type of behavior before nor have I yet found a reason for the
failures. Based on the logs, I would have hoped that your latest
restart:

$ grep Ready Blitz-0.log.1
2016-10-24 17:36:17,596 INFO  [
ome.services.util.ServerVersionCheck] (      main) OMERO Version:
5.2.5-ice35-b28 Ready.

would have corrected the issue. Unfortunately, that's not the case.
Interestingly, though, starting with Blitz-0.log.1, a new exception
has appeared:

2016-10-27 08:26:53,504 ERROR [
o.s.blitz.fire.PermissionsVerifierI] (l.Server-6) Exception thrown
while checking password for:witzg
ome.conditions.InternalException:  Wrapped Exception:
(org.springframework.ldap.CommunicationException):
unibasel.ads.unibas.ch:3268; nested exception is
javax.naming.CommunicationException: unibasel.ads.unibas.ch:3268 [Root
exception is java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused]
        at org.springframework.ldap.support.LdapUtils.convertLdapException(LdapUtils.java:98)
~[spring-ldap-core.jar:1.3.0.RELEASE]

There's not necessarily a connection between the failures before the
restart and the new LDAP issue, but I do wonder if you know of any
infrastructural changes which may have happened in the last few days:

 * change of passwords for the root user
 * change in your institution's LDAP server
 * networking changes or the like

Thanks for helping us to track this down.
~Josh.