[ome-devel] ndpi - NanoZoomer files compatibility with OME

Manuel Stritt manuel.stritt at actelion.com
Tue Dec 13 07:53:37 GMT 2016

Hello together,

thanks Julien for that initiative, I'd highly appreciate a better support
of NDPI in Bioformats. Just one remark from my side
regarding the NDPI format:
The main problem I see (as far as I understood the format...) is that it's
basically a tiff with a big jpeg "tile" which has the width and height
of the image and not several smaller tiles as usual.
This has the consequence that if width / height are larger than 65536 the
jpeg header cannot cope with this dimensions (16bit fields), so
it's written in the tiff container.
This makes it
a) hard to read with any standard jpeg library
b) hard to read it a random access way

I guess support from Hamamatsu side as Melissa proposed would be a very
good option. But for long-term, one could even think about a
more standardized output of the Hamamatsu scanners (e.g. jpeg compressed
tiled tiff) to avoid many problems from beginning.

I am aware that working on Bioformats is the more realistic approach  ;-)

And: the current NDPI support actually is not that bad, just not as speedy
as some other WSI file formats.

Regards,
Manuel

Dear Julien,

> Thank you very much for getting in touch.
>
> > On OME website, we've seen that NanoZoomer file formats (ndpi, ndpis,and
> vmu mainly) are somehow > supported but that the compatibility is not 100%
> assured.
>

> > Ranking table: https://www.openmicroscopy.org
> /site/support/bio-formats5.2/supported-formats.html
>

> >This might be because OME developers hadn't had access to all the
> relevant information while developing > the software.
>
> Yes, the ratings on our website reflect the fact that we do not have
> official specification documents for the ndpi, ndpis, or vmu/vms formats.
>
> > As hardware makers, we are completely opened to all external software
> development and we especially > think that open source software is a real
> key point for our customers.
>
> > In order to help have as easy and good experience using your tools with
> our images as possible, we
>
> > would like to help improve OME - NanoZoomer compatibility.
>
> > In this context, I would like to ask you which kind of information or
> actions would be needed from our
>
> > side?
>
> As a first step, official specification documents and a set of NanoZoomer
> datasets that represents the full range of acquisitions options would be
> very helpful.  Representative datasets, at a minimum, are necessary if we
> are to proceed with any real changes to Bio-Formats’ NanoZoomer support.
>
> In terms of actually doing the work to update Bio-Formats, there are three
>

>    1.
>
>    The open source OME team can use the provided specifications and
>    datasets to assess and fix any missing features, as time permits and
>    without a definite completion or release date.  For further information,
>    please see: http://blog.openmicroscopy.org
>    /file-formats/community/2016/01/06/format-support/
>    <http://blog.openmicroscopy.org/file-formats/community/2016/01/06/format-support/>
>    2.
>
>    Hamamatsu can commit resources to making any necessary updates to
>    Bio-Formats’ existing NanoZoomer support via our code repositories on
>    GitHub.  For technical details, please see
>    http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/contributing/
>    <http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/contributing/>.  A summary
>    of a similar collaboration with 3i is available here:
>    http://blog.openmicroscopy.org/file-formats/community/2016/0
>    8/31/bf-partnerships/
>    <http://blog.openmicroscopy.org/file-formats/community/2016/08/31/bf-partnerships/>
>    3.
>
>    Hamamatsu can commission Glencoe Software to make any desired updates
>    on a fixed schedule; any changes would then be made available in the next
>    scheduled release of Bio-Formats.  A summary of a similar collaboration
>    with Zeiss is available here: http://blog.openmicroscopy.org
>    /file-formats/community/2016/08/31/bf-partnerships/
>    <http://blog.openmicroscopy.org/file-formats/community/2016/08/31/bf-partnerships/>

> [...]

The information of this email and in any file transmitted with it is
strictly confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, any copying, distribution or any other use of this email is
prohibited and may be unlawful. In such case, you should please notify the
sender immediately and destroy this email.
The content of this email is not legally binding unless confirmed by letter.
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to
state them to be the views of the sender's company.