[ome-devel] New developmental metadata functionality

Damir Sudar dsudar at lbl.gov
Sun Aug 14 00:49:31 BST 2016

Hi OME team,

I'm now using the new metadata functionality across our entire project
and it's working very well.

Just a few questions and possibly there are some suggestions for
improvement hidden in there:
1) when I upload a .csv file with "bin/omero metadata populate --file
filename.csv --context csv Screen:<screen_id>"
the resulting Table is called "bulk_annotations". Is there a way to
upload with a different name?
2) one reason I ask is that I would like to upload 2 different
annotations to a Screen: #1 is the experimental metadata that describes
the experiment and #2 is a feature measurements file after analysis
which is likely to be done at a later time, thus the desire to separate
that from the experimental metadata. Currently both attached Tables care
named bulk_annotations.
3) so while it is possible to upload 2 different annotation files and
both show up as Attachments to the Screen object (with the same
"bulk_annotations" name), when I look at the Image objects within that
Screen, they only show in the Tables tab the contents from the most
recently uploaded annotation file.
4) the metadata annotation works great for "normal" plates that have
numbered columns and "lettered" rows. However, when one has lettered
columns and numbered rows, everything gets jumbled and when there are
more than 26 rows the routine throws an exception (see my earlier
message). I worked around this issue (mostly with Will Moore's help,
see: https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/pull/4743) but it
would be great if that issue was really fixed before releasing the
metadata functionality into the wild.

Thanks,
- Damir

T: 510/486-5346 - F: 510/486-5586 - E: DSudar at lbl.gov