[ome-devel] [micro-manager-general] Proposed tweak to µManager data files in 2.0

Karl Bellve karl.bellve at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 00:28:22 BST 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016, 4:25 PM Nico Stuurman <nico.stuurman at ucsf.edu> wrote:

> "How you save metadata doesn't matter much when µManager 1.4 (don't know
> about 2.0) doesn't do a very good job of exporting enough types of metadata
>  (look at Zeiss ->OME in comparison). This is due to being device centric,
> and each device determines how it wants to label information. We should
> think about label consistency with camera, filters, shutters, etc.  It will
> make OMEs job easier and other software much easier."
>
> Saying it in another way: Micro-Manager devices adapters have a lot of
> freedom to decide how to name things.  Moving towards using pure OME xml
> dictates loss of that freedom and a huge amount of work to rewrite device
> adapters.  This is independent of performance issues writing OME xml that
> would also need to be addressed.
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

I agree with everything you wrote.

I was thinking of something simpler. Instead of changing every device
adapter which would be unrealistic, just expand the "core" read-only
attributes to include more metrics.

It would then be up to the device adapters to update those "core" read-only
attributes if they wanted. It wouldn't be mandatory, but optional.

Current Objective
Current Emission Filter
Current Excitation Filter
Current Dichroic Filter
Current Light Source
Etc

This wouldn't have to be compatible with OME xml. Just throwing out an
idea...

Cheers Karl