[ome-devel] Proposed tweak to µManager data files in 2.0

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Apr 13 21:51:39 BST 2016

Hi Chris,

> You mention one reason for this below, which is that people tend to
> lose the companion file. Are there other reasons to avoid doing this?

People tend to lose it, and also to edit it. There are a certain class of
people who would never ever edit it, for fear of breaking something. But
then there are a class of users who do these sorts of things, and then get
confused when things stop working.

A few years back, LOCI explored the idea of allowing edits to the companion
file to "take precedence" over what is in the embedded OME-XML, as long as
the former was well-formed, but that was part of a now-long-abandoned "OME
Metadata Editor" project. Nothing like that ever became standard across the
whole suite of OME tools.

One of OME's founding principles for data storage was that your whole
dataset—pixels and metadata—should be stored in one single file, to
minimize the chance of data loss. But that attitude has certainly evolved a
lot over the past 15 years, and these days I don't think anyone is too
militant about it. I just wanted to mention that historically it has been
an issue in practice. But I guess Micro-Manager has plenty of
evidence/experience with its metadata.txt file: how often do people lose
that? etc.

> We also cannot rely on being able to embed the XML in every TIFF

Yeah, I wouldn't think you should embed it in _every_ TIFF. But probably
more than one would be nice, in case the "lynchpin" TIFF gets lost.

> we may butt up against the 4GB limit

Heh, it might not be a big deal, since the limit is not actually 4GB... but
rather 32-bit offset pointer and 32-bit length, yeah? So as long as the
OME-XML is appended to the very end of the file, and _starts_ before the
4GB cutoff, and is less than another 4GB in length (highly likely ;-), you
should be OK? Worth testing anyway.

Regards,
Curtis

--