[ome-devel] Super-Resolution standard format

Alex Herbert a.herbert at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Sep 25 15:42:52 BST 2015

Hi Simon,

I think that the minimum requirements for a standard format would be
storing the intensity of a localisation at position TXYZ.

Intensity and TXYZ would require units. A factor should be provided to
convert the given units to standard (e.g. seconds, nm, photons). This
would allow the format to record using units of choice for the software.

It would be good to allow for storing the bounds of the data. This is
relevant to rendering images, density analysis and other data
post-processing.

To make it possible to link localisations together (i.e. to mark the
same molecule in different frames) would require an ID field. These
requirement make the file need both a header and records. It could look
something like this:

Header:

Dimension,Min,Max,Unit,Conversion
ID,1,59,Count,2.34
T,1,1000,Frames,0.25
X,0,64,Pixels,107
Y,0,64,Pixels,107
Z,-500,500,nm,1
Intensity,10.987,1234,ADUs,0.025

This header corresponds to an image with 59 molecules, with an average
of 2.34 localisations per molecule (117 localisations in total). The
image was taken for 1000 frames at a frame rate of 250 milliseconds,
with 107nm pixel pitch on a 64x64 pixel camera, 500nm depth of field for
3D fitting, with a gain of 40.

If tracing of localisations into molecules has not been performed then
the IDs would be sequential from 1 and the Conversion for the ID set to
1. Note that others may have a different take on the use of an ID
column. For example it could be used to record the unique ID of a
fitting candidate. In this case it would not be sequential as candidates
that were rejected will be omitted from the results.

Also note that results may be written directly by a parallel processing
fitting routine. In such a case they may not necessarily be ordered by
ID or by time T, and the bounds for some dimensions (ID, T, Z,
Intensity) may not be available when the header is written. In this case
the bounds can be optional. The bounds for XY should be available given
the image from the camera is a fixed size, however it is more flexible
if these are optional too.

Records (simple delimited data):

ID,T,X,Y,Z,Intensity

This could be extended by allowing custom columns to be described in the
header. These columns would be appended to the standard ones.

The previously highlighted issue of pixel offset (e.g. positions 0,0 or
0.5,0.5 correspond to the centre of a pixel) could be either included in
the header, or just set mandatory that the coordinates use a standard
offset defined by the file type.

Also note that the data parser written by the EPFL for the Localisation
Microscopy Challenge 2013 had the facility to specify the delimiter for
records. It may also be required that the locale for numbers be of a
mandatory type or specified in the file given that some formats use
different characters for decimal points. This is something that has
caused a problem for my own software for a French user where the locale
uses commas as the decimal separator.

How the header is composed is open to debate. It could be XML allowing
verbose descriptions of the data columns. Or a simple tabular format
like the example shown above. But I recommend it should be easy to
detect when the header has ended and the rows of data records begin.

I hope that provides a few ideas.

Alex