[ome-devel] Spectral Chemical Imaging Data

Alan Race alan.race at npl.co.uk
Wed Nov 18 13:42:34 GMT 2015

Hi Ian,
Yes this is correct. Each spectrum is stored with two arrays, one containing the m/z values and one containing the corresponding intensities, which will both be the same size, but there is no guarantee that every spectrum will have the same length (when the data is stored in “continuous” mode as this data is). The length of each spectrum is stored in the imzML portion of the file as detailed below.

The binaryDataArrayList tag (mzML > run > spectrumList > spectrum > binaryDataArrayList) should contain two binaryDataArray tags, one of which is the details of the m/z array and the other which has the details of the intensity array. The CVParam tags give details of the offset (in bytes in the ibd file) and the encoded length (number of bytes) and the array length (number of elements in the array). The data I have supplied should all be double precision values, but this will be specified in the corresponding referenceableParamGroup tag (mzML > referenceableParamGroupList).

If you would like the Java code that I have written for parsing this for reference (or for testing) I can share that with you.

Regards,
Alan