[ome-devel] TIFF, PSB, or JPG conversion to SVS or other web-viewable format?

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Dec 15 14:23:19 GMT 2015

Hi Jerrold,

> I am collecting tiled images on my own microscope using metamorph. This produces beautiful tiled TIFFs. I can then combine these, e.g. in photoshop, to create larger tiffs that represent a gallery, but exceed the 32K limit. I would like to put these on a server for viewing. Does anyone have advice as to how these can be converted to  SVS or other web-viewable formats? It would be fine if software other than photoshop was used to combine tiled images into a gallery.

I'm not aware of an easy way to convert files to .svs - Bio-Formats,
OpenSlide, and Aperio's ImageScope software only allow reading.

You might try converting to a generic pyramid TIFF instead; Bio-Formats
does not have an easy way to do this right now, but the OpenSlide
project provides examples of how to do this with ImageMagick[1] and
VIPS[2]:

https://github.com/openslide/openslide/wiki/CreatingPyramidalTIFFs

Regards,
-Melissa