[ome-devel] Fwd: Notes from Ricardo re last LSR meeting at UCL

Munro, Ian i.munro at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 14:49:34 GMT 2014

Dear Jason and everyone,

A quick recapture of the round table discussion we went through with the ones present on the 17th (~12 participants).

- The general interest is on having OMERO store super-resolution (SR) data and not prioritise having OMERO actually analyse the data. This is due to the large family of existing analysis methods for SR, specially within the realm of SR Localisation Microscopy.

- For SR Localisation Microscopy (e.g.: PALM/STORM) in particular there are 3 types of data used that need to be stored:
A) the raw-sequence of frames as collected by the microscope (generally 200-150.000)
B) a particle table generated after the raw-sequence is analysed for particle detection and localisation (generally 1^3-10^9 particle elements)
C) a super-resolution reconstruction, a single-frame or few-frames, but generally >= 5120x5120 pixels in size each frame

There are two main tasks that we would like to see integrated into OMERO:
1) The capacity to store the particle table, the difficulty here is that the particle table can follow multiple formats depending on the algorithm used although it tends to have some common elements such as particles X, Y, Z positions and particle signal. We've discussed HDF5 - one the issues raised was that developers creating SR Localisation Microscopy may not be comfortable with the format - we've also discussed XML - but it may be a bit computationally overwhelming to parse xml particle tables with 10^9 elements.
2) We need to have clear ways to link this data together, allowing us to backtrace the relations between raw-data, particle-tables and SR reconstructions.

Overall it was a good discussion as it allows us to focus a bit more. I would propose for us to set up a skype meeting before we engage a development session. Would you agree? If so, I can try to set up a doodle for this.

All the best,
-Ricardo