[ome-devel] OMERO upload problems

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Fri Feb 28 12:35:50 GMT 2014

Hi Niko,

On Feb 27, 2014, at 5:25 PM, Niko Ehrenfeuchter wrote:

> Hi Douglas,
>
> On 27.02.2014 17:12, Douglas Russell wrote:
>> Hi Niko,
>>
>> We have hit this same issue here in Oxford. It happens with gigantic
>> filesets. I think there is metadata for each of them and in combination,
>> it exceeds the 64MB. For now, we have set:
>>
>> <property name="Ice.MessageSizeMax" value="262144"/>
>>
>> I guess this should really be addressed to chunk the data into multiple
>> messages if it exceeds the size, but increasing this should get you
>> going for now.
>
> thanks for the fast reply. The only question now is: where do I configure this value, found it in two locations:
>
> OMERO.server/ice.config
> OMERO.server/grid/templates.xml

Start by bumping it in templates.xml and let us know how that works.
If there are still errors, you'll need to get your clients to modify
their properties locally.

> I guess we have to restart the omero services after changing these settings,
> can this be done without interrupting people's work (something like apache's
> "graceful" restart) or should I wait until no one is logged on?

Unfortunately, there's no graceful restart for most properties, so you'll need
to schedule a very short down-time.

> Thanks again!
> Niko

Cheers,
~Josh

P.S. the original thread where we discussed this situation with Douglas was
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7351