[ome-devel] omero at EBI

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Mon Apr 14 10:53:14 BST 2014

On Apr 11, 2014, at 6:09 PM, Johan Henriksson wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Hi Johan,

> I am setting up OMERO 5 here at EBI. On the good side, there is no lack of
> computers to use. On the bad side, we don't have root access and we are a
> bit restricted in which software we can use, and it is a bit dated
>
> The first question is for the database. While I totally prefer psql, EBI
> has semi-standardized on using mysql and it generally saves a lot of pain
> (for us and admins) to stick to their set up frameworks
>
> Thus I wonder, how hard it would be to get OMERO to run on mysql instead of
> psql? I know you use PL/SQL (for something) which I don't expect mysql to
> support, just for a starter. How tight is this linkage?

At this point, fairly tight since we don't test on anything else but including another DB should also be fairly clearly defined. It requires:

 * writing mysql templates for the DB generation [1]
 * writing a MysqlSqlAction.java class [2]
 * providing the default configuration [3]

> While at it, have you looked into how to make OMERO scale for larger
> installations? e.g. how to run multiple reduntant instances? Do you have
> any documentation or just general advice on do and don'ts in this context?

Can you outline what you mean by larger installations? The only use that multiple redundant instances have been used for to date (as far as I know) is for hot-swapping to maintain availability. Likely there are other variables that should be optimized before going to multiple OMERO servers, though.

[1] https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/tree/develop/components/dsl/resources/ome/dsl

[2] https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/blob/develop/components/model/src/ome/util/actions/PostgresSqlAction.java

[3] https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/blob/develop/etc/profiles/psql