[ome-devel] [ome-users] In place imports and omero 5

Graeme Ball graemeball at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 11 21:00:00 BST 2013

Hi,

I've been thinking about this again, and in case no-one else thought
of the following approach already, here goes:-
(apologies for 1. switching OME lists - I thought the developers would
be more interested than users; and 2. if I suggested exactly this idea
at the Paris meeting already - I can't remember if I did or not)

OMERO doesn't really need to own the data, since it basically treats
data as read-only (right?) Upon import it just needs to put the
metadata in its database, and make a note of where the data are the
filesystem, i.e. assuming they are in a location it has read access
to.

Obviously the user would have issues if they subsequently moved the
data... The easiest way to tackle this problem without giving OMERO
root access to the filesystem is to mark the data as read-only after
import, which the user could either do manually (quick hack); or from
inside the OMERO client, since it is already running with the user's
credentials. Not foolproof, but then what is?

Regards,

Graeme