[ome-devel] adding woolz to bioformats

Bill Hill Bill.Hill at igmm.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 14:06:53 BST 2013

I'm revisiting the Woolz file reader. This now works for most
Woolz objects that would probably be considered images (2D,
3D, 1/2 a dozen pixel/voxel types, no pixels/voxels give an
unsigned byte 0/255 image corresponding to the object domain.

When I wrote the reader I just hacked the build system to get
it going - I now want to add it the right way.

I've pulled a fresh development (the default) branch of
bioformats from github and added (reduced git status output):

#       new file:
components/bio-formats/src/loci/formats/in/WlzReader.java

#       modified:   components/scifio/src/loci/formats/readers.txt
#       modified:   scan-deps.pl
#
# Untracked files:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
#       00-bills-notes.txt
#       jar/JWlz.jar
#       lib/libJWlz-1.3.2.so
#       lib/libJWlz.so

*Q* How do I get the build system to see/use my JWlz jar file?

I modified scan-deps.pl:

+my %woolz = (
+  NAME    => "woolz",
+  TITLE   => "Woolz",
+  JAR     => "JWlz.jar",
+  PACKAGE => "uk.ac.mrc.hgu.Wlz",
+  LICENSE => "GPL",
+  URL     => "https://github.com/ma-tech/Woolz",
+  NOTES   => <<ZZ,
+used for reading/writing Woolz objects
+ZZ
+  VERSION => "1.3.2"
+);

although I'm not sure if I needed to do this (*Q*)? Trying
to run scan-deps.pl just gives complaints about non-existant
jar files, eg

Component bf-autogen.jar does not exist at ./scan-deps.pl line 623.

*Q* Is this normal?

Previously I just hacked in a symbolic link to my java-woolz
sources.

I know I've still to write the service that will isolate
bioformats from Woolz, but I'll write it once I've a sensible
build going with read/write of Woolz objects. That way I'll
know what's needed.

Thanks for the help so far.

Cheers,
Bill

--
Bill Hill                              : http://www.hgu.mrc.ac.uk
MRC Human Genetics Unit                : http://www.emouseatlas.org
MRC IGMM, University of Edinburgh      : Bill.Hill at igmm.ed.ac.uk
Western General Hospital               : +44-131-3322471x2119
Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK.     : +44-131-4678456

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.