[ome-devel] OMERO.features: Development of a new API for storing image features

Simon Li s.p.li at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Jul 5 15:03:42 BST 2013

Hi everyone

It was great to see so many people interested in OMERO.searcher and WND-CHRM at the Paris meeting, both those who were interested in installing it on their own systems and also those of you who were interested in developing other analysis algorithms for use with OMERO.

One of the main points that came up was that OMERO should provide a single API for storing and calculating image features. Robert Murphy's group at CMU have already developed PySLID [http://github.com/icaoberg/pyslid], a python module for calculating and storing features used with OMERO.searcher, so I'd like to propose we bring this into the openmicroscopy GitHub organisation, and rename it to OMERO.features (other suggestions are welcome).

Then there's the much bigger task of modifying the module to cater for everyone's requirements. I can see several potential issues, including how we handle multiple channels, z-slices, timepoints, ROIs, etc since features can be calculated for these individually or as a whole.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments on what they'd like to see it'd be great if you could share them with the rest of this list, or if you prefer on our forums.

Best wishes

Simon