[ome-devel] Scaling Omero for 300-400 users

Swe Aung swe.aung at monash.edu
Tue Feb 19 21:57:58 GMT 2013

Hi

We are planning to upgrade our omero setup in our university. We estimate
users to be 300-400 and simultaneous users to be 20-100. We have quite a
variety of files in lif, tiff, nd2, svs and so on. Average file size is
80-200MB and sometimes we have big file as large as 5GB in size.

Our current set up is as below
Omero 4.4.4 with ice 3.3 running on Redhat Virtual Machine (single node,
2x2.2Ghz vcpu, 8GB memory)
Postgres Sql 9.0.3 on a database server (separate box)
NFS mount drive for data

As of now, the server is not utilised yet, but we are expecting to grow in
next few months.
We are seeking your expertise to scale our omero setup in this following
area
1. recommended hardware spec (cpu, memory, disk space)
2. clustering solution
3. load balancing / failover
4. Will omero benefit from GPU if the server has?
5. Can we manage the load better if we cluster multiple omero servers (vm)?
6. documentation for clustering solution, load balancing
7. documentation for performance tuning of omero

If you require more information, please kindly let me know.
thanks in adv.

regards,
--
Swe Aung