[ome-devel] Eclipse metadata in bio-formats.git

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Aug 25 18:25:25 BST 2011

Hi everyone,

Since I wrote the mail below, I have been doing more development of
Bio-Formats in Eclipse, and am more convinced than ever that having the
Eclipse metadata files committed to the repository is harmful. Using M2E,
even if you tell Git to treat the .classpath, .project and .settings files
as unchanged, it still refuses to switch branches due to local changes.
Also, using "git stash" will stash those files, reverting them to the last
version from the repository, which wreaks havoc with Eclipse.

Hence, I am renewing my proposal that these Eclipse metadata files be
removed from the Git repository. If it helps, I would be happy to write a
"Developing Bio-Formats in Eclipse" section of the Bio-Formats web site
detailing how to get M2E etc. set up in Eclipse—it is pretty simple.

Any objections?

-Curtis