[ome-devel] bug importing dm3 files

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Aug 1 13:28:09 BST 2011

Hi Jacki,

Basically everything can be explained by the differences between
Insight and Importer.....

On 1 Aug 2011, at 12:51, Jacki Goldman wrote:

> HI Will,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  That clears things up.
>
> I used the stand-alone importer. In the first reply to my original
> post to ome-devel,  Jmarie said the problem was with the rendering
> system, rather than the importer.  When I just tried to use the
> importer built into Insight, the import failed.  Is there a
> difference between the stand- alone and integrated importer that
> might account for this?

Insight tries to render the image after it's imported, to show a
thumbnail of the new image. This causes the error that we're seeing
(black thumbnail etc).
Importer doesn't try to render the image, so no errors (until you try
to view in Insight).

> The metadata is present for the dm3 files.  However, it only gets
> imported if the corresponding .tif file is imported at the same
> time. If you import dm3 files on their own, no metadata is
> imported.  I don’t know if this is a separate issue or just an
> indication of the fact that despite the lack of errors/warnings, the
> image wasn’t actually imported.
> <image003.png><image004.png>
> Imported with .tif file
>
> Imported without .tif file
>
> <image005.png><image002.png>

I think this is due to another bug in Importer http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/6247-
Currently, importer doesn't add the "Original Metadata" to imported
images. If you import the DM3 alone, using Insight, you should still
see the "Original Metadata".

   Will.