[ome-devel] OMERO and Bio-Formats 4.2

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 11:33:24 GMT 2010

Dear All-

First, a belated Happy New Year from the OME Team.  We hope you're as
excited about 2010 as we are.

Second, since our very successful booth at ASCB, the team has been
working hard to define goals for Bio-Formats and OMERO 4.2.  You've
probably seen various references to this work on this list or on the
OME Forums (http://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/).  While doing
this, we've spent alot of time discussing our own development process
and interactions with the Community.  If you are so inclined
(doubtful), you can see some of these discussions on our Meetings
Minutes pages (http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/community/minutes/conference-calls
).

The result of all of this are the final roadmaps for Bio-Formats and
OMERO 4.2.  These are now up and available:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/milestone/OMERO-Beta4.2

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/milestone/OMERO-Beta4.2

http://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/trac/java/milestone/bio-formats-4.2

If you look carefully, you'll notice two things:

1. We are doing alot of infrastructure work, in preparation for
developing more advanced applications later this year.  Regardless,
4.2 will include the release of major new functionality, especially
for HCS and data analysis.

2. The roadmaps include much more detail and provide links to more
time and work specification, which is part of our effort to
substantially improve our strategic planning and internal and external
communication.

We have worked hard to define the body of work we want to achieve, and
define reasonable timelines for completion.  We currently plan to
freeze all work 15 May, with release 3-4 weeks afterwards.  This
accommodates our commitment to include significant testing and
usability review in our release process.

Please let us know any comments, or if anything is not clear.

As always, thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street