[ome-devel] Having trouble compiling cpp file with Makefile

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Thu Sep 10 15:59:58 BST 2009

Bernhard Holländer writes:
 > Hi Josh and Nick,
 >
 > maybe I'm missing something but omero::cast does not return anything,
 > though I would expect to segfault the TreeList example....
 >
 > this is from https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/browser/trunk/components/tools/OmeroCpp/src/omero/templates.h
 >
 > template<class T> std::vector<T> cast(omero::api::IObjectList& v) {
 >         std::vector<T> rv;
 >         omero::api::IObjectList::iterator beg = v.begin();
 >         while (beg != v.end()) {
 >             rv.push_back(T::dynamicCast(*beg));
 >             beg++;
 >         }
 >         // this is missing!!!
 >         return rv;
 > }

Thanks for the catch, Bernhard. Committed to the Beta4.0 branch in
r4928. Upcoming to trunk.

 > Nick, a good place to look for examples are the OmeroCpp tests:
 >
 > http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/browser/trunk/components/tools/OmeroCpp/test

The tests are certainly one location. The intent is that:

  http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroClients

should be the starting point for anyone wanting to write an OMERO
client. It's a lot, though, and so any suggestions are welcome.

>From that page, several examples from:

  http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/browser/trunk/examples

are linked. The least of which are in C++. However, once you get a
feeling for one language, they are all nearly identical, so comparing
between Java, Python, and C++ will probably also help.

And of course, always feel free to ask. If the mailing list isn't
conducive to the type of help you need, you might either create a wiki
page where we can gather examples, or you can start a thread on the
forums: http://openmicroscopy.org./community

 > > Also, are there are more examples for C++ or is the best way for me to
 > > figure out  how to write clients by going through docs/slice definitions one
 > > by one to find the methods I need...?

Cheers,
~J.

P.S. note the slice documentation at:

  http://hudson.openmicroscopy.org.uk/job/OMERO/javadoc/slice2html/omero.html

is undergoing improvement. Comments welcome.