[ome-devel] Compression in OME-TIFF file?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Sep 4 14:55:40 BST 2009

Hi Nick,
You can generate one using the Bio-Formats Exporter plugin for ImageJ.

First, open any image. Then choose Plugins > LOCI > Bio-Formats Exporter,
save as OME-TIFF format, and a dialog box will appear allowing you to select
the compression type—give either "LZW" or "JPEG2000" a try.

The compression will change nothing about the embedded OME-XML, only how the
TIFF planes are stored in the file. And all OME-TIFF compression is plane by
plane (i.e., no compression over a 3D block of pixels).

-Curtis