[ome-devel] .Flex File integration

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Wed Oct 14 20:14:46 BST 2009

Ghislain Bonamy writes:
 > Thanks josh,

Gladly.

 > For the path: this is what I meant:
 > [FlexReaderServerMaps]
 > CIA-1 = \\\\hostname1\\mount;\\\\archivehost1\\mount;...
 > >From the description, I was not sure whether the total number of path is limited to 2 or more.

No, not at all. I'll try to make the wiki page clearer.

 > With OMERO.fs in OMERO 4.1, one could simply point to the location
 > of the images, or location of the .mea file, so that the import is
 > done automatically without data duplication. Right?

No. Unfortunately, we were not able to solve the data duplication
issue for 4.1. It is still high on our priority list, but for this
release, files will still be converted to the internal format.

fs (specifically "DropBox") does allow for automatic import of the
files, however.

 > For the ROI, storage, I think the advantage of the chain code is
 > that it is much more concise (so it would use less storage
 > space). The disadvantage is the computing portion of it. Perhaps
 > something we should keep discussing.

Definitely. We will certainly be expanding the server-side ROI support
over the next releases.

 > I am not sure I see how the PyTables and OMERO interact. Can you
 > expect to have these PyTables saved as separate (physical) files,
 > to which OMERO points, or is it an actual table in OMERO (in the
 > PLSQL database)?

They're separate HDF files. There's a secondary python server which
handles all requests for the tabular data. At the moment,
populate_roi.py is creating one file on disk for every analysis run,
the definition of which is file format dependent. In the HDF file,
there is a column referencing the Image id as well as the Roi id along
with the measurements for that region.

Cheers,
~J.