[ome-devel] how to set glacier2 sessiontimeout

Bernhard Voigt bernhard.voigt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 08:59:15 BST 2009

Hi Josh!

> Did you redeploy the application after modifying
> etc/grid/templates.xml?
Ah, no. I should have known that this is required.

> That's definitely the right place to be
> editing it (congrats on tracking it down).
Thanks! I have to admit, I was a little bit worried how many different
config files and styles/techniques are involved. Anyways, grep is a
good friend of mine ;-) and looking into the python cli.py was useful,
too.
But still, I didn't get which files in particular need to be edited,
when I for example want to change the MaxMessageSize. Is it just the
template.xml and the ice.config for the client?

> What exactly are you running into that you want to change the
> Glacier2.SessionTimeout?

We have an interactive client that allows to access OMERO from a
command line. In this app, if the session died, I'd like to catch the
exception and recreate it. For testing I didn't like to wait 300s
everytime until this exception is thrown.

Also I did thought about setting the timeout to 0 to have endless
sessions. At the end, I might go for the recommendation from the ZeroC
people to ping a proxy object in a separate thread to avoid the
session to die due to idleness.

> You may want to handle this
> differently. OMERO implements session counting independently of the
> Glacier timeouts which allows multiple clients to attach to a single
> session. Let me know if this would be of interest.

This could be of interest, it might be necessary for us to share a
session between different threads. Would this be a scenario that fits
to what you have in mind?

Thanks! Bernhard